Australia’s regulatory requirements have grown in complexity over recent years and now require more attention than ever before. Blackwall places great importance on all aspects of regulatory compliance and we work side-by-side with our clients to protect their financial, reputational and structural interests.
Our lawyers have developed strong relationships with the ASX, ASIC and other regulators. Several of our team members have worked at regulators, indeed Partner Jamie Ogilvie served as regional commissioner of ASIC in the late 1990s. Our understanding of the workings of the regulators allow us to give clarity on not just the black letter regulatory requirements but equally on approach and methodology.
Our regulatory lawyers can assist you in relation to your requirements and potential contraventions of the legislation governed by a wide range of regulatory authorities, from the ASX and ASIC, to FIRB and the OAIC in relation to data breaches.
Our recent experience in the compliance and regulatory space includes advising in relation to:
- acting for a city councillor in the royal commission level Inquiry into the City of Perth;
- ASIC insider trading investigations;
- defending Australian Federal Police allegations of breaches of the Commonwealth Crimes Act in respect of foreign bribery;
- high-profile money laundering investigation;
- companies (both shells and targets) undertaking backdoor listing transactions, particularly involving extensive engagement with ASX;
- FIRB requirements where a foreign buyer acquires Australian assets; and
- more generally, Corporations Act and ASX listing rules compliance.