Jonathan is a commercial litigator with experience across a diverse range of practice areas encompassing, Corporations Act litigation, contractual disputes, energy, estates, insurance, insolvency, health, mining and resources, and partnership disputes.
Jonathan has acted for major accounting firms, several banks and other financiers, high net worth individuals, mining and engineering companies and major insurers.
Jonathan has acted in a number of Supreme Court and Federal Court litigations, both as instructing solicitor and as Counsel, and for clients in regulatory investigations conducted by ASIC, including:
- as instructing solicitor for a major financier in a Supreme Court trial;
- as instructing solicitor in the Supreme Court acting for a mining company successfully resisting an injunction to prevent it from exercising its rights pursuant to certain security documentation;
- as instructing solicitor and Counsel in the Supreme Court acting for a high net worth individual in relation to a claim for misleading or deceptive conduct;
- as instructing solicitor in the Federal Court in a case that dealt with issues relating to when a bailment will constitute a PPS Lease for the purposes of the Personal Property Securities Act;
- as Counsel in the Court of Appeal in an appeal brought by borrowers against a judgment entered in favour of a major bank;
- as Counsel in a trial in the Supreme Court acting for the executors and beneficiaries of a will; and
- as advisor to a Chief Financial Officer in an ASIC investigation.
Jonathan has been involved in all aspects of commercial litigation from receiving initial instructions, preparing advices on prospects of success, mediation, case management, trial and appeals.