Jeffrey specialises in insolvency, reconstruction and disputes. He has extensive experience in advising on the successful restructure of companies in financial distress.
He regularly advises businesses and insolvency practitioners on issues including:
- claims pursuant to the Corporations Act including claims relating to insolvent trading, breaches of directors’ duties and unfair preferences;
- various issues under the Personal Property Securities Act; and
- a range of disputes including director and shareholder disputes, contractual disputes, negligence and misleading or deceptive conduct.
Jeffrey has recently advised on a number of successful restructurings including:
- acting for the administrators of a distressed oil and gas marine logistics company, with $65m of debt and over 200 employees, resulting in a successful restructuring by way of a deed of company arrangement; and
- advising the administrators of a substantial property developer with over $100m of debt, resulting in a successful restructuring following contested hearings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
His recent disputes work includes:
- acting for a plaintiff on a substantial breach of contract claim against a major ASX listed institution;
- advising a liquidator on a major insolvent trading action in the Federal Court of Australia;
- acting for liquidators and creditors on a number of unfair preference claims; and
- acting for liquidators on investigations, including public examinations, and subsequent claims.