Rob brings to Blackwall Legal over 35 years’ of significant experience in corporate and commercial transactions, restructuring and dispute resolution.
He works collaboratively with businesses to assist them with major transformational events such as:
- mergers and acquisitions;
- backdoor listings;
- corporate structuring and restructuring;
- corporate governance;
- board and meeting compliance;
- composition and disputes;
- investment and financial structuring;
- alternative dispute resolution;
- and litigation strategy and conduct.
Rob has acted on a number of significant Australian listed company reconstructions and was a pioneer in the use of insolvency structures such as creditors’ and members’ scheme of arrangement, voluntary administrations, deeds of company arrangement, creditors’ trusts, backdoor listings and reverse takeovers. He was the national chair of the Law Council of Australia Committee in the area.
He has had extensive experience in a wide range of industries such as mining, mining services, financial services, education, technology, retail and agriculture.
Rob has also chaired the WA state subcommittee of the Law Council of Australia Corporations Law Committee and the Law Society of Western Australia’s Commercial Law Committee.
He has been regularly recognised for his outstanding contribution to legal practice and was ranked, for example, as a leading Australian restructuring and insolvency lawyer in Chambers Asia Pacific 2016, Who’s Who Legal International 2016, Legal 500 2016 and Doyle’s 2016 and in commercial law, corporate law, corporate/governance practice and franchise law in Best Lawyers in Australia 2016 Edition.
Rob taught for a decade at the University of Western Australia and has prepared and delivered numerous papers to an array of industry representative bodies.
Rob’s diverse work has seen him provide advice to:
- A listed company on an inquiry into the Company’s board processes in entering into a major resource project;
- A company, individuals and litigation funders in a substantive challenge to the validity of securities and guarantees over substantial assets;
- A major bank in the collapse of a substantial national managed investment scheme;
- An international investment fund and investors in mining and mining services acquisitions and projects both in distressed and non-distressed situations on projects;
- The administrator then liquidator of a substantial managed investment scheme in its winding up and complex preference claim;
- Listed companies, including major mining companies, in successful and successful reconstruction;
- Directors and shareholders requiring a restructure of a corporate group including divesting the assets to the shareholders;
- Members of public listed companies in shareholders’meetings to remove directors;
- Boards and listed companies in contestable shareholder and creditors meetings
- Bidders, Targets and Boards on takeover bids;
- on an inquiry into the Company’s board processes in entering into a major resource project; a company, individuals and litigation funders in a substantive challenge to the validity of securities and guarantees over substantial assets;
- A major bank in the collapse of a substantial national managed investment scheme; an international investment fund and investors in mining and mining services acquisitions both in distressed and non-distressed situations on projects;
- The administrator then liquidator of a substantial managed investment scheme in its winding up and complex preference claim; for directors and shareholders requiring a restructure of a corporate group including divesting the assets to the shareholders; a public listed Company in a shareholders’ meeting to remove directors; on a takeover bid and in general commercial matters;
- The President a country on war crime allegations.
- Listed companies assessing compliance with directors’, shareholders and companies on director’s duties;
- A public company in a successful formal claim against former directors for breach of duty and appreciation with a multi-million dollar settlement.
- Solvency issues and meditations;
- Shareholders and directors on their rights and duties;
- A Board on Shareholders’ and directors’ on their rights, duties and investments;
- A major energy company on its reconstruction; and
- Technology, mining and mining services companies on their commercialisation.
Areas of Practice
Admission to Practice
Supreme Court of Western Australia
High Court of Australia
Membership & Professional Roles
Law Society of Western Australia
Commercial Law Committee
Former Chair and current member
Law Council of Australia
Member – Business Law Section
Former WA Chair and current member
Insolvency & Reconstruction Committee
Former National and WA Chair and current member
Australian Institute of Company Directors
Turnaround Management Association
WA Committee Member
Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
International Insolvency Institute
Founding and Current Member
Keystart Loans Ltd
Black Swan State Theatre Company Ltd
Australian Institute of
WA Football Commission
West Coast Eagles
- June 28, 2019
Doyle’s Guide 2019 Leading Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers & Firms – Western Australia[Read More]
- June 1, 2019
Rob McKenzie joins Immediation’s Inaugral Panel[Read More]
- September 10, 2018
The new ipso facto regime commenced on 1 July 2018 and applies to a variety of contracts. ...[Read More]